In the interest of full disclosure, OMAAT will receive a referral bonus for anyone approved through some of the links below. These are the best publicly available offers (terms apply) we’ve found for any product or service. The opinions expressed here are those of the author, not those of the bank, credit card issuer, airline, hotel chain, or product manufacturer / service provider, and have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any of these companies. For more information on our partners, see our Advertiser Policy. Thanks for your support!
A fantastic welcome bonus has just been launched The American Express Platinum Card®which should be of interest to a lot of people.
Collect up to 225,000 points with the new Amex Platinum offer
With this newly introduced welcome offer, the Amex Platinum Card offers a total of up to 225,000 points:
- 75,000 bonus points for Membership Rewards after spending $ 5,000 within the first six months
- 10x Membership Rewards points at US gas stations and US supermarkets;; This applies to the first $ 15,000 spent in the combined categories in the first six months
Now let me be clear, I am by no means claiming that this bonus is worth 225,000 points. However, to make some basic calculations based on my rating of 1.7 cents per Membership Rewards point:
- I estimate the welcome bonus of 75,000 points to be $ 1,125
- Earning 10x points per dollar equates to an incredible 17% return in these categories that has never been seen before
This really is a phenomenal bonus, especially for those who spend a lot at gas stations and supermarkets (or can move more spending into these categories).
Are you entitled to the Amex Platinum Bonus?
The Amex Platinum Card The welcome bonus is available to those who do not or have not had this particular card. However, you may be eligible for this card if you previously had another Amex card, including the business version.
The good news is that if you are eligible for the Amex Platinum it may be easier to get approval than you expect:
- The Amex Platinum Card is more of a charge card than a credit card. This means that it does not count towards the typical American Express credit card limit (the usual Amex credit card restrictions can be found here). Even if you maximally work with Amex credit cards, you are likely still entitled to this card
- In my experience, Amex charge cards are some of the easiest cards to approve when you have excellent credit. Even if you’re struggling to get approved for Chase or Citi cards, you might be pleasantly surprised when you try to apply
Redeem your Amex points for great travel experiences in the future
Why the Amex Platinum is worth it
The Amex Platinum Card is a $ 550 annual fee card (prices and fees) that is primarily worth it for the benefits it offers. In the past, this card was all about travel perks and had the following benefits:
- An annual Uber balance of $ 200
- An annual balance of $ 200
- An annual Saks balance of $ 100
- Access to Amex Centurion Lounges, Delta SkyClubs and Priority Pass Lounges
- Hilton honors gold and Marriott Bonvoy gold
- A Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check credit every four years
The Amex Platinum gives you access to the Centurion Lounge
In the past, the travel benefits of this card have more than offset the annual fee in my opinion. You might be thinking, “Well, travel benefits aren’t worth much to me right now.” Fair enough, but Amex is one step ahead of you – the issuer did a great job adding limited time benefits to this card.
For example, the Amex Platinum has been offering monthly cell phone and streaming credit of $ 40 for the past few months, which is valid until the end of the year. To me, this is almost worth a face value, and personally, I expect this card to have time-limited benefits as the trip won’t return to normal anytime soon.
The Amex Platinum currently offers monthly mobile phone credit
Read a full review of the Amex Platinum Card here.
The Amex Platinum Card offers an incredible new bonus of 75,000 points after completing the minimum spend plus up to 10x points at grocery stores and gas stations.
If you haven’t already got the Amex Platinum, I can’t recommend this offer enough. While this has been a travel benefit only card in the past, Amex has done a good job adding temporary benefits and I would expect it to continue to do so.
Are you planning to take advantage of this amazing Amex Platinum Card offer?
The following links will take you to the prices and fees for the American Express cards mentioned. These include: The American Express Platinum Card® (prices and fees).