5 Indoor Plants that are Poisonous to your Cats

List of houseplants that are poisonous to your cats

P.Lants and cats don’t always belong together. Cats are notorious for eating things and to keep your pet safe you need to make sure none of the following houseplants are around your cats.


Lily photo by KENPEI – KENPEI’s photo, CC BY-SA 3.0, CC

While brightly colored lilies appear beautiful and smell good in your household, whether on the kitchen table or in the garden bed, they are poisonous to your cats.

All parts of this flower are poisonous like the stem, pollen, petals, leaves and water in the vase. Eating a small portion of any of these parts can lead to kidney failure within 3 days.

Symptoms such as drooling, loss of appetite, and vomiting occur within 0-12 hours. Kidney damage occurs within 12 to 24 hours. Ultimately, kidney failure occurs in 12 to 24 hours, resulting in death if left untreated.


Jade plantJade plant

Jade is a type of plant that is easy to care for. However, the jade plant is harmful to your cat.

Eating part of the jade plant in any form, such as B. chewing or swallowing is already a cause for concern. Note that the highest toxic concentration can be found in leaves. Some of the main symptoms are loss of muscle function, vomiting, and slow heart rate.

They will also be difficult to deal with as there are psychological symptoms such as weakness, aggression, and oversleeping. Make sure you take the cat to your veterinarian along with the jade plant you consume.


Spring flower pot of daffodils Photo via DepositphotosSpring flower pot of daffodils Photo via Depositphotos

Seeing daffodils is one way to brighten up your day because of its vibrant color. Unfortunately, daffodils provide a poisonous experience for cats when ingested. The toxicity of this plant lies in its alkaloids and crystalline lycorin.

For this reason, a daffodil bulb serves as a restricted area for cats because it contains crystalline lycorin. Be aware, however, that consuming part of the plant is already classified as dangerous. Some of the symptoms are tremors, vomiting, nausea, stomach pain, seizures, fast heart rate, and irregular heartbeat.

Just recognizing any of these symptoms is already a cause for concern for your cat’s health.



While hyacinths seem to offer a lively atmosphere because of the color, these flowers are dangerous for cats. The flower’s high concentrations of toxins which are allergenic lactones, calcium oxalate raphids, and lycorine alkaloids.

The most poisonous part of the flower is the bulb. A single touch of this flower by a cat causes skin irritation. When a hyacinth is eaten, there will be a mild to moderate reaction. Chewing this plant already causes pain and irritation to the mouth.

However, the damage gets worse when multiple hyacinths are eaten. Some symptoms include depression, nausea, vomiting, increased heart rate, difficulty breathing, tremors, and diarrhea.

Snake plants

Snake plant photo via DepositphotosSnake plant photo via Depositphotos

This popular houseplant, also known as Sansevieria, is native to Asia and Africa. Although there are many varieties, the most popular one has evergreen sword-shaped leaves that grow upright and look almost like artificial leaves.

Snake plants are often used as home decor. It is easy to grow and requires little water to survive.

These plants are considered to be one of the best air purifiers, but are slightly poisonous when consumed by cats. Its leaves contain a poison that, when consumed in large doses, can cause tongue swelling and numbness.

It is advisable to keep this plant away from children and animals that are prone to nibble.

Want more updates on other poisonous plants every cat owner should avoid? Follow #TeamOutofTown on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Bloglovin, and Pinterest for more travel ideas.

Also Read: Popular House Plants: 10 Of The Best House Plants

Show More

Related Articles