All About Fuo News

What is a CR-1 Visa and How to Get CR-1 Visa in Thailand

Jul 19

If you're planning to move to Thailand, you may be wondering about the various types of visas available. In this article, we'll discuss the differences between the K3, IR1, and CR-1 visas, as well as common-law marriages. Then, we'll discuss whether you should consider the Thai spouse's application for an IR1 visa instead of a CR-1 visa.


CR-1 visa

To bring your Thai spouse to the U.S. on a CR-1 visa, you need to first apply for one in Thailand. The process typically takes six to twelve months and requires your Thai spouse to sponsor you. Afterward, you'll be able to travel to the United States on your spouse's CR-1 visa. But there are a few things you should know before applying for one of these visas.


IR1 visa

When you want to live and work in the United States, you can choose from one of three types of visas. A "B" visa is for business purposes, an "ED" visa is for education, and an 'O' visa is for family matters, such as medical treatment, religious work, journalism, or scientific research. For students, the IR1 visa is the best option, as it allows you to stay in Thailand up to ninety days.


K3 visa

When applying for a US spouse visa, it is best to choose a K3 visa as it takes the least amount of time. However, if you are hoping to take your Thai wife to the US for work and want to reduce the paperwork in Thailand, you should consider applying for an IR1 or CR1 visa. These visas will take approximately 2 months longer to obtain than a K3 visa, but the process is similar in both cases.


Common-law marriages

A CR-1 visa for common-law marriages is possible if you meet certain criteria. The country you live in must recognize your marriage. While living together does not automatically qualify as marriage, the couple should have lived together for a year or more. If your marriage is not legal, you must file an affidavit of support with supporting documents. Fortunately, the process is very straightforward.


Documents required for a CR-1 visa

Whether you are an American citizen or a citizen of another country, you will need a CR-1 visa in order to marry a Thai national. A CR-1 visa is a type of immigrant visa that allows the spouse of a U.S. citizen to enter the country and become a permanent resident. Once married, the Thai spouse will be eligible to receive a Social Security Number and conditional resident card in the U.S., and the US citizen can then apply to remove the conditional residency period. Generally, this process takes six to twelve months.


Fees for a CR-1 visa

US citizens marrying Thai citizens are allowed to immigrate to the U.S. with a CR-1 visa. This visa is valid for two years and can be removed by the Thai spouse 90 days before it expires. The Thai spouse must be living with the US citizen after the visa expires. The CR-1 visa application process can be complicated and many intending applicants are unaccommodating regarding the outcome.

You may also want to read the U.S. CR1 Visa Common Questions.